Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Celebrating Family Traditions: Part One

There are many words or phrases one could use to describe my family – close-knit, loving, caring, fun/silly, kindred spirits, etc., etc. Of all the words or phrases that are used, one stands above the rest for me: tradition. (Ok, so who is singing Fiddler On The Roof’s “Tradition” right now?)Traditions are important to our family, and they create a strong foundation for all of us to stand on. No matter how far apart we are from one another or how long it has been since we have all seen each other, our traditions keep us forever bonded, connected and close. At the start of every new year, I can pull out my calendar and instantly begin mapping out my year of family activities…birthday parties, Brewer games, holidays and other get-togethers.
As our core family members have evolved over time from growing older while staying young at heart, to moving to different cities and states, to losing parents, and to adding new ones (Tyler and Baby Wenzlaff), our traditions have slightly evolved as well. However, they have remained a comforting constant in my life, which have allowed me to weather any storm and change. Of all the birthday party celebrations, graduation parties, weddings, reunions, Mother’s Day softball games (now spring Brewer games), Thanksgivings, and other get-togethers, our Christmas tradition is the one I cherish the most.
Originally, my Christmas celebration started on Christmas Eve with opening presents between Mom, Dad, Chris and me, then attending St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Franklin children’s recitation service in the gym, then going over to Grandma and Grandpa Selin’s house for dinner and more present opening. After present opening, we played trivia or cards games. Somehow Grandpa always won, especially at card games. Eventually it came time for us to go since it was rather late, and Chris and I would fall asleep in the van ride back to our house. Then on Christmas Day morning, we would play with presents for a little bit then pack and drive to Two Rivers to Grandma and Grandpa Klein’s house for more Christmas fun with the aunts, uncles and cousins. Once we said hello to everyone, the cousins and I would race upstairs to Uncle Gary’s bedroom and take over his TV and VCR so we could watch our favorite movies: The Goonies, Back to the Beach, and Clue (all classics, I know). During movie breaks, Chris and Andy would snoop around Grandma’s house and sniff out the extra tins of No Bake Bars she was hiding. Surprisingly enough, they always found them and consumed them…hope you got the quantity you wanted because those two boys knew how to inhale them. After filling up on No Bake Bars, a large dinner was served in the kitchen (picture the adult table and the kid table crammed in one small little kitchen), followed by present opening from youngest to oldest in the living room. After presents, game time followed with snacks and Brandy Alexanders (hopefully without spatula fragments). Bedtime for the cousins was a camp out with their sleeping bags in the living room to prepare for the next day of festivities. Then morning came, and this was always one of my favorite times at Grandma’s house. I would wake up, sneak into the kitchen, and watch Grandma make breakfast for all of us. While I would watch her, I got to have a little one-on-one time with her before everyone was up and ready for the day. Loved those moments.
Now that my grandparents and mom are angels watching over me, the pattern of my Christmas remains mostly the same: Christmas Eve with Dad and Chris at St. Paul’s and then dinner with presents to follow; Christmas Day is with the Klein family at whichever home is designated that year. Both days are still filled with wonderful family members, great fun, hearty laughs, large menus, and of course, No Bake Bars.
As you spend time with your family and think about your own family traditions this holiday season, I hope they are as fun, comforting and loving as mine are. Until next time, take care and talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment