Thursday, January 26, 2012

Dreaming of Some Place Warm

Last night, while watching a college basketball game, all snuggled on the couch under comfy blankets with a fire flickering in the fireplace, a commercial promoting to vacation in Jamaica caught my attention. Suddenly without holding back, I exclaimed out loud, “Yes, please. I’ll go to Jamaica.” Now distracted by Jamaica and traveling to an exotic location, I forgot about the basketball game and began daydreaming about going back to Jamaica. Picture this: warm, white sandy beach, gorgeous turquoise waters, lush green palm trees, hot sun tanning your skin, perfect lounge chair, and a frosty strawberry daiquiri in one hand. Sign me up! Ready to go right now!

After all this daydreaming about Jamaica and wishing I was on a plane headed to this tropical location, I reminisced about my trip to Jamaica and seeing the Negril Lighthouse. This lighthouse is located in Negril, Jamaica, which is on the westernmost tip of the island. Negril is known for its beautiful Seven Mile Beach along with its rugged cliffs and caves. While walking on Seven Mile Beach, you can see Negril Lighthouse off in the distance flashing its white light every couple seconds.


 Negril Lighthouse stands 65 feet tall on a cliff. It is a white, conical concrete structure with a silver framed lantern and gallery, built in 1894. According to some research, I learned that it is reinforced at the base by a 14-feet tank filled with water so it can withstand an earthquake.


To see the lighthouse close up rather than while sitting on the beach, I took a bus trip from the resort to the lighthouse grounds. However, when I got there the entrance was locked so I could not go onto the grounds. I was still able to snap some pictures from the road. While I was snapping away, a local islander approached me and said that for a couple of dollars he would take my camera and take some pictures for me. Feeling a slightly nervous but excited to get closer pictures, I handed over my camera, watched him disappear onto the grounds and hope he would return. After a nerve-racking five minutes, he returned with some gorgeous pictures. I was very pleased with his assistance. 


In addition to his assistance, I also was able to capture the Negril Lighthouse from the water by taking a catamaran cruise. The view from the catamaran was breath-taking because I could see all of the cliffs, caves, and curves of the point, along with the lighthouse standing tall and strong.


Viewing the Negril Lighthouse was one of my highlights from the trip to Jamaica. Other fun moments included walking to Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville, lounging on the beach, floating in the turquoise waters, snorkeling several times (I saw a sea turtle while snorkeling), and observing golden pink sunsets. Oh, how I look forward to going back there someday!

Until next time, dream warm thoughts, picture your happy place of beaches and sun, take care, and talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment